- In blind trials, users who were given
both drugs orally were unable to distinguish between the effects heroin and methadone.
from heroin should be over after seven to ten days. Withdrawal from methadone
though, can take up to a month or even longer.
former heroin users have claimed that the horrors of heroin withdrawal were far
less painful and difficult than withdrawal from methadone.
is a synthetic drug. It was first invented in Germany during the Second World
War by scientists who, having discovered pethidine some years earlier, were developing
other similar compounds.
- The effects
of methadone last longer than those of morphine-based drugs.
effects can last up to 24 hours.
occur more frequently at the beginning of treatment in methadone programs; they
are usually a cause of excessive doses (i.e. erroneously estimated tolerance).
generally entails the entire spectrum of opioid side effects, including the development
of tolerance and physical and psychological dependence.
are as physically dependent on methadone as they were to heroin or other opiates,
such as Oxycotin or Vicodin.
- The most
common side effects of Methadone are: drowsiness; lightheadedness, weakness, euphoria,
dry mouth, urinary retention, constipation, and slow or troubled breathing.
methadone used to control narcotic addiction is frequently encountered on the
illicit market and has been associated with a number of overdose deaths.
comes as tablets, dispersible tablets, liquid, and liquid concentrate.
is one of the most difficult drugs to detox from since its effects are long-lasting
and it is readily stored in the body's tissue.
Complete the form below and a drug treatment counselor will respond to your request shortly.
- Drug Facts
- Methamphetamine kills by causing heart failure, brain damage and stroke.
- Studies of alcoholics have found that heavy consumption of alcohol can lead to neurodegeneration, death of brain cells and reduced brain tissue mass, and subsequent damaging effects such as a lack of impulse control and difficulty in setting goals.
- There are basically two chemical forms of cocaine: the hydrochloride salt and "freebase."
- Alcohol- is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream from the small intestine, and less rapidly from the stomach and colon. In proportion to its concentration in the bloodstream, alcohol decreases activity in parts of the brain and spinal cord.